The 4-1-0

Monday, October 23, 2006

The best dinner ever

Last week, amidst all of my running around for my new job, we were fortunate enough to attend a dinner and wine tasting event with my inlaws. I really think that this was the most fun I've ever had at a dinner before.
First of all, it was an absolutely beautiful evening; it was cool, sunny, no wind, no bugs. The leaves just started to change colors last week, so all of the trees are at their peak. The best thing about the dinner (other than the food and wine) was the early 20th century plantation that it was held at. I felt like we were at a place that was right out of an F. Scott Fitzgerald novel. The only thing that was weird was that 95% of the people there had gray hair. The most intersting looking person was an older woman, probably in her early 70s, who looked like an under-fed, dried apricot. Her alligator-like skin was a rust brown color (tanning bed) and she had bright white cirles around her eyes (I would assume from the sunglasses she would wear in the tanning booth).
The theme for the dinner was Sonoma vs. Napa.
Before dinner we had appetizers and 2 kinds of sparkling wine (one from Napa and one from Sonoma). This was fun because there were servers wandering around, each with a different type of before dinner snack.
Dinner was served in five different courses, each paired with two types of wine (again, one from Napa, one from Sonoma). Everything, from the scallop with vanilla truffle sauce to the gnocchi, was excellent. I lamented to Kristin about how I wish, even though I am a pretty decent cook, I could make dishes that were so superbly crafted.
Well, I am at work now, so I better go do something. Just thought I would make everyone hungry...

N

1 Comments:

Blogger Monica B. said...

Congrats on the new job. . . I hope the second interview went well. I'm glad the in-laws got to come for a visit. It sounds like you guys had a lot of fun! Love you guys!

3:31 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home