The 4-1-0

Wednesday, December 20, 2006

DC

So far, I really like my new job. I work with an interesting mix of people: my immediate boss is only a few years older than I, one guy usually dresses in flannel and has a ponytail down to is butt, one guy is a clinical hypochondriac/germaphobe and the other guy always wears army fatigues and has an unhealthy obsession with guns. Other than that, I don't have any good work stories yet; just cool people and that I'm enjoying it.
I'm sick right now (stupid cold) so I want to keep it short but I had to write about this while I remember.

In case you've never been there, DC has a lot of homeless people. I've learned from Kristin (and others) that often times they have some sort of mental issue (for some, that's an understatement). Many of them tend to hang out in the same areas...I suppose that a certain concrete wall or patch of grass becomes something like their home. Now, keep in mind I'm NOT making fun of these people, but it is weird when you see things such as I have in the past week.

The two weirdest displays I've seen came in succession today as I was walking to the station from work. One guy was hunched over on the side of "Mass Ave" praying to a parking meter (seriously) and the other, a toothless old man, was skipping around the station shaking his empty coffee cup like a hip-hop artist pouring a bottle of Cristal onto the ground...all while blaring Christmas music from a boombox. Hey, 'tis the season.


-N

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home